Sunday, December 2, 2007

2:30am

I did it again. I feel asleep in front of my computer 2 hours ago. I often will lie down on my bed to check my e-mail and fall asleep. This is not unusual. It happens too often. I'm too lazy to walk upstairs and take out my contacts and do the necessary things to get ready for bed. I can fall asleep pretty much anywhere and when I'm tired, I crash. This happens most frequently when watching movies or TV and it has happened in the presence of pretty much everyone I know. Don't take it personally. I'm not bored by your company. When I'm tired, my body shuts down. My mother falls asleep EVERYTIME she sits down to watch a movie. She has dubbed this problem cinematic narcolepsy. Don't ever ask her opinion on a film, she'll tell you that she didn't like it while the truth is that she only saw the first 10 minutes of it.

Okay so why am I writing this? Like I said I fell asleep in front of my computer. At 2:12 am I heard a subtle knock on my door and a little voice calling "Airwin". Little Jesse (3) comes in and crawls in my bed because according to him "he had a bad dream about dinosaurs" (I'm almost positive that's what he said. I was still half asleep). With a quizzical look on his face he asks me if I was sleeping and comments about the fact that my light is still on. I mean come-on he's not allowed to sleep with his light on and there's monsters in his room (or at least he makes me check for them anytime I put him to sleep). He asks me to get him a drink of water (he tells me that it would be so ahMAzing to get a drink of water) so we go upstairs to do that. While he's sitting on the toliet watching me take out my contacts and wash my face, he makes this statement "Airwin, we should stay up ALL NIGHT and get lots of dwinks of water". I told him no that he needed to go back to bed and take him in his room and lie him down. He asks me what time it is and I inform him that it's 2:30 and time to go night night. He says that 2:30 is not bedtime; 8 o'clock is bedtime. So I try to explain to a 3 year old that he sleeps through 2:30 every night, but I know it's lost on him.

He's now asleep. I just wanted to share this because it is so funny to me how much my life has changed in the past few months. I love it. I knew parenting was a huge responsibility before I moved, but moments like this remind me how self-sacrificing of a job it is. Being a mother has to be THE most underappreciated job and it has made me appreciate my narcoleptic mother so much more. Yesterday morning he woke me up at 6 by knocking on my door (you see, he has a gate on his door and has started climbing over it). I vaguely remember telling him to wake up his brothers. I’m not a saint all the time or ever actually. Well I'm going back to bed, but I will leave you with a couple of my favorite Jesse quotes as of recently-

While painting with me, I was trying to help him write his letters, he yells "I know how to draw letters. I am SO a grown up!"

This afternoon while his parents are setting up the Christmas tree, Michelle mentions something about the base for the tree and I overhear Jesse exclaim. "I know what a bass is!!! It's a guitar!!!"

May your dreams be lacking in dinosaurs.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your blogs make me happy!

James said...

But, but last night, you said it was because you were bored by my company...

make up your mind, Airwyn!

Erin Lee said...

well you're different James. I don't actually like you.

James said...

Oh.

Well, thanks for clarifying.

Anonymous said...

Haha...I love it. Little kids make me happy =)

last night, Jacob looks at me and says, "Did you know that the Jews ACTUALLY (he really emphasized actually) were the ones who started Hanukkah?"

haha yes...I had heard that. He said it so matter of fact too.

tim