Wednesday, November 21, 2007

chocolate like crack

This past month I've learned that I am a dark chocolate addict. I'm not using this term lightly either like most people. You often hear "I'm addicted to chocolate" translation- I really, really like chocolate. Not me. I'm a dark chocolate junkie and this behavior intensifies when I'm under stress.

This past month has been crazy. I have been in the middle of a magazine deadline that has been the deadline from HELL. My job as the Advertising Director for HM is to get X amount of dollars in advertising every issue by a certain point. Well this issue has never reached the X amount of dollars mark. Pretty much anything bad that could happen did - people pulling out, people not returning my phone calls (my biggest pet peeve... don't tell me you want to do something and then just avoid me. Have the guts to at least tell me no), normal advertisers not having any releases to advertise etc etc etc. I had to be the bad guy on a couple occasions and I didn't like that much.

Anyways during all of this I inhaled dark chocolate. I think one day (the worst day) I ate almost a whole bag of individually wrapped Dove candy. The more I got stressed, the more I would need a "fix". At one point I remember panicking as I shook the bag because I didn't think there were any left. The joy that I felt when I heard the last piece hit my desk was sickening. I thought about saving it for another crisis, but no, I ate it. I've been known to keep one piece hidden in case I need a quick fix. This horrible behavior began when I moved.

So this week I was out of chocolate and while picking up a few things at Target (another one of my addictions), behold right in front of my eyes conveniently located at the end of the isle for all nut jobs like me, dark chocolate peppermint mocha frappuccinos. The Angels sang, I ended up walking out of Target with way more than I went in for like always, and today I drank the last one. But don't fret, because tomorrow is Thanksgiving and I'm going home to Chicago where at my parent's house there will be tons of food and I will be spoiled rotten by friends and family because they missed me or something. I really don't deserve it.

Have a Happy Thanksgiving!
Erin

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have a good Thanksgiving and enjoy your time back in IL.

- A fan from Cornerstone

Robdul said...
This comment has been removed by the author.