Tuesday, September 4, 2007

The Foolish Things

1 Corinthians 1:27-29 But God chose the foolish things of the world to shame the wise; God chose the weak things of the world to shame the strong. He chose the lowly things of this world and the despised things - and the things that aren't - to nullify the things that are so that no one may boast before him.



I love how "out of whack" God chooses to do things. I can't get over how we (the church) so often judge the abilities of a person and decide that that they are not capable of doing God's work. This decision a lot of times is not based on what is Biblical, but on what we find is appropriate by OUR standards. I'm guilty of this as much as the next person. We find that person's flaws and because they aren't the perfect example of what a human in ministry should be, we dismiss them. God chooses whom he deems fit, and usually that's not who we would expect. It is so refreshing that the lowest of low can and will further the kingdom and that's how God likes it. For someone that grew up with perfection in mind, it is so amazing how messy spirituality really is.



The Thompson's' arrived home today from Chicago with a new toy for Jesse (the 3 year old) in tow. It's a Caterpillar that is about 2 feet long that moves and plays the same 20 second clip of a song over and over again. He's thrilled. I'm going to hide the batteries.



I just got off the phone with my best friend Julie. I miss her. The girl is amazingly crazy and I love her for it. Michelle told me that Julie thought that I was going to show-up in Illinois and surprise her. She walked around a party looking for me thinking that I was going to jump around some corner and yell "I'm here". That is one of the saddest things that I've heard. I can totally see her doing that. Despite the fact that I wasn't there, I got a Julie card (it had a basset hound on it) and a really beautiful scarf from the Czech Republic (where she went on a mission's trip) and a Japanese cartoon notebook that has a picture of raccoons, a cup of coffee, and smiling marshmallows on it (very Julie as well). I also received a really awesome dress from my mom in the mail today. This part of being away is nice. I never have gotten so many presents.



Here are some pictures that Whitney took on Sunday at the end of the summer party at Zach's house. This is the first party that I've gone to since I moved here that I felt comfortable at and truly enjoyed myself. It was such a great feeling and I was seriously giddy. NO JOKE.
So here are some of the people that you've probably heard me talking about.
Me with a baby. Go Figure.

Preparing the Meal. Which was amazing.


Heidi-Rae and I.


Some of the girls. Whitney, Jami, and Mendy. Yeah, I think I'm going to get along with them just fine.


Dan and I in serious discussion.


Sean and Dan in serious discussion.


The host and hostess. Zach and Bridget.


The pinata broke before anyone even hit it. So we had two pinatas.


Always a great idea to give Jami a metal pole. I haven't known her long, but this much I've gathered.


Peter and Whitney. Yeah they are too cute. Knock it off guys.


A great representation of the night. Good job Whitney!!!









2 comments:

Robdul said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Dove Wedding Photography said...

I love the caption for Sean and Dan! They are very serious.

-Whitney