Monday, September 17, 2007

Community

So this my friend is Nashville's very own Parthenon. There's a somewhat legitimate reason as to why we have a Parthenon, but that is a story for another day. I put a photo of it because I spent Sunday afternoon at Centennial Park (that's where this monstrosity is located) beneath a tree with a sandwich and my Brennan Manning book. It was wonderful!

This past Thursday we had our first small group at the house. When John and Michelle first looked at the house, one of the features that excited them the most was the carport because it is the perfect place to have outdoor gatherings. And it has been. We have it decked out in red and white Christmas lights, have tiki torches lit throughout the yard, candles, and usually have a ton of coffee available. To me, this is what heaven will be like. No joke. Or the perfect date. Christmas lights and coffee and I'm happy. We had around 12 people show-up. It was bitter sweet because it made me realize how far my relationships with all of you back home had come

In The Signature of Jesus (the book I'm currently reading) Manning has a lot to say about the importance of community. I found these to be really insightful-

"Today we need small bands of people who take the gospel at face value, who realize what God is doing in our time and who are living proof of what it means to be in the world but not of the world. These "base communities or neighborhood churches should be small enough for intimacy, kindred enough for acceptance, and gentle enough for criticism. Gathered in the name of Jesus, the community empowers us to incarnate in our lives what we believe in our hearts and proclaim with our lips"

God help me to be able to be this way in every part of my life, in every conversation whether it be deep or lighthearted, and in every situation. I think Manning sums up a lot about why community is so vital.

I also really like this quote by Scott Peck "There can be no vulnerability without risk; there can be no community without vulnerability; there can be no peace - and ultimately no life - without community"

Vulnerability is so essential to our spiritual growth. The sooner that we admit that we don't have it all together, the sooner we allow Christ to change us and others to help us. We aren't perfect, we aren't superhuman, and we all have a lot of baggage. We might as well be honest with each other and continue growing. What is the true but somewhat cliche phrase?- "The first step is to admit that you have a problem"

Well community is starting for me here. Tuesday I have woman's ministry at church, Wednesday I have girl's night here at the house, and Thursday we have small group. This weekend my incredible friends the Miller's will be visiting. Thank you Lord for making us yearn for Community. It would be pretty darn boring to go through life alone.

3 comments:

Robdul said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

It sounds like you are really getting connected down there Erin...I am glad =)

One of my favorite authors (John Ortberg) calls a loving Christian community "A small outpost of Heaven." The church is supposed to be a small taste of what heaven will be like. I think a loving community is a big part of that.

I think heaven will have Christmas lights and coffee...although I'll be drinking A&W =)

tim

Erin Lee said...

I love John Ortberg. Yeah I think the church has the responsibility of being heaven on earth. Unfortunately I treat it like Erinworld most of the time.